From:
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:31:13 -0700
Hi, Irene,
I am not in a law firm.  Since the economy slowed down, the
record-generating units are not spending as much time packing and sending
physical records, so I have time to allocate to audits.

We have two offsite storage companies.  Both are set up so I can go online
and download box storage data by cost center (department).  I can then
compare the data to that in my records management system, and to an Excel
file of old barcode numbers.  So, far I have completed the audit for four
small cost centers and am in process of doing a medium-sized cost center.

I am able to correct the information right there, unless I have to order
boxes back for review.  I can make changes in the offsite storage
companies' databases and in mine.

The three legs of the triangle are time, people and technology.  The more
of one you have, the less of the others you need.  I do not have a program
that can compare the databases, just me and my eyeballs, so the project
will take until it's done.  So, figure out the most efficient and effective
way for you.

I am rated on maintaining my company's database 100% current at all times.
The benefit to my company is that their database does not show records
existing that have been destroyed, that the company can request the offsite
storage companies to quit charging for boxes we destroyed or that will not
be returned to them, and identifies boxes which are shown out to us, but
which we have lost track of.

Although I am associated with Honda, these are my own views and not those
of Honda.

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member - The Orange County Chapter of ARMA International
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's website at ocarma.org
Larry Medina - "RM makes the rules; IT provides the tools".