From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:17:13 -0500
Colleen,

I helped deploy Documentum Records Manager in 2002 when it was known as
Truearc's Foremost (and prior to that Provenance).  Shortly after it was
deployed, Documentum purchased it and within a version (I believe version 3
to 4) they required the backend database be changed from the original
Truearc Foremost table structure to the Documentum table structure.  I left
about the time the testing was being done for version 4.  About this same
time, Documentum was purchased by EMC, but I believe has maintained the
Documentum brand.  Also about this time, Documentum developed a strong
interface with a OmniRIM, an independent records software which, in my
opinion, has very strong functionality for entry and management of physical
records.  EMC in the past has promoted this strong interface and some use it
in conjunction with EMC.  So you need to know which product you're referring
to, Documentum Records Manager or OmniRIM.

If the product is Documentum's Records Manager, I can only relate my
perspective on how it handles physical records from Version 4.1 I think.  I
can tell you it has a box profile.  As I remember it the box profile entry
screen is a bit small and has seven tabs in the entry box labeled Page 1,
Page 2, etc.  Depending on what information you want to enter, you enter it
in the various fields on each page, click ok and the box entry is added.
The problem I had is to add another box with similar information required
you to complete the entire entry form again.  Then complete the entire form
again.  Also at that time there was not a standard barcode management
product which assimilates check-in/check-out, coding folders into boxes and
space management.  We had a custom product written, but as with all custom
products, when things changed with the main product, the custom product had
to be adapted, rewritten or orphaned.  Because we had pretty strong buy-in
to departments making folder entries and using coding structures, the
migration to the physical record functionality of Documentum Records Manager
at that time, was extremely stressful for me.  I ended up learning XML
importing on the fly, creating spreadsheets for users to make data entry
easy and set up XML import lines and then importing departmental entries
periodically en masse or as needed.

If you have OmniRIM as a companion to Documentum Records Manager, I haven't
used that product, but I know the physical records functionality it very
strong and the ability to create useful coding structures and taxonomies is
very good.  Never perfect, but still good.

I hope this helps!  Feel free to contact me offline!

Tom