From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:48:53 -0700
Interesting article in Today's Wall Street Journal.  I have some very
fond memories of my times reading and studying in libraries.  They
were like a sanctuary, a meeting place where everyone would get
together, work on math or accounting problems and socialize.  Things
have changed (I am not sure for the better).

<snip>
HUGO, Minn.—In this suburb of St. Paul, the new library branch has no
librarians, no card catalog and no comfortable chairs in which to curl
up and read.

Instead, the Library Express is a stack of metal lockers outside city
hall. When patrons want a book or DVD, they order it online and pick
it up from a digitally locked, glove-compartment- sized cubby a few
days later. It's a library as conceived by the Amazon.com generation.

Faced with layoffs and budget cuts, or simply looking for ways to
expand their reach, libraries around the country are replacing
traditional, full-service institutions with devices and approaches
that may be redefining what it means to have a library.
<snip>

http://snipurl.com/1c7bm3

In today's Wall Street Journal.
Bruce White, CRM, PMP