From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:48:27 -0400
I've attended the E2.0 event in the past and its interesting- a different
spin on similar practices.  The prime difference is the manner in which
content is delivered/hosted, it's mainly in collaborative
applications/platforms.  Works well for many smaller organizations and
startups, and it has it's place in larger organizations for collaborative
type work.  Lots of use of the term "social business" in the session titles.

This isn't replacing KMWorld/Intranets but I *DID* notice that KMWorld has
dropped "Intranets" from its title this year.  Last year, this was a poorly
attended event when held in Silicon Valley- many of the exhibitors pulled
out at the last minute, and you could walk the exhibit hall in 15-30 minutes
easy.  The presentations were mostly delivered by vendors and they had
difficulty fielding questions about specific requirements from people in the
audience... it wasn't uncommon to see people walking out in the middle of
sessions.

Attendees have very high expectations when they spend the kind of money
these events are asking for registration, and while there are no refunds
given for dissatisfaction, attendees vote with their feet and don't return
the following year if the event doesn't hit the mark... especially if
they're paying out of their own pockets. I know that's what made the
difference for me- sure would be nice to see more accurate descriptions of
what sessions are going to cover and for presenters to stick to that.

It's 'the same thing only different', but it's the same days this year.
Will one take attendees away from the other?  Probably not.  The audiences
will be different I think- most of the people 'flocking' (?) to one or the
other are doing so for their own reasons.

Few of those attending E2.0 have great concerns about RM as a functional
need, many think content can be searched, found, managed, no matter where it
is- and they think of it as content, not records.  Some of those attending
ARMA are in organizations that are using/investigating E2.0 as a way of
business, but it's not front-and-center on their radar screens.

Looking over the list of sponsors and exhibitors at E2.0, I only see 4 names
that are regulars at ARMA- IBM, Adobe, Microsoft, and periodically Novell.
I think the first 3 have sufficient numbers and depth to cover both events
adequately, and the 4th isn't an issue.

Larry