From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:30:07 -0500
Sara, before you jump wholesale into a massive backfile conversion, you should bear in mind that the savings from eliminating storage of the paper alone will NEVER pay for the conversion (I have an Excel workbook that "crunches the numbers", if you need an analytical proof).

Instead, you may want to consider a method commonly known as "scan on demand", which, simply put, is to scan records (or groups of related records) as they are requested for use. This is MUCH less expensive, time-consuming, resource-intensive, and risky, than converting the whole backfile. If you are using a commercial records center for storage, your provider will usually offer this service.

To specifically answer your question about a document management system, you mention that your employer is an engineering firm, so you should look carefully at document management systems developed or tailored specifically for the engineering market, such as those offered by McLaren Software (http://www.mclarensoftware.com/), Bentley Systems (http://www.bentley.com/en-US/), or Intergraph (now owned by Hexagon AB) (http://www.intergraph.com/).

There are other engineering document management systems, but these are the ones I recall "off the top of my head."

Most document management systems tie in to scanners (both standard and wide format), but you can also purchase, if necessary, "document capture" software such as that offered by Kofax (http://www.kofax.com/).

I assume your company is using a CAD system to produce its current drawings. So, do you plan to "vectorise" the drawings? Vectorising is the process of converting the scanned raster image to a data set that you will import into the CAD system.

Finally, if your company's records are long-lived (>20 years), be aware that electronic systems of any kind are a really bad choice for long-term preservation.

Good luck,

Fred Grevin

Fred Grevin
212-788-8615 (office)
347-436-5360 (cell)
Please excuse the brevity of notes sent from my Blackberry