From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 07:31:30 -0500
I came to records management via archival studies/administration. Dr.
Duranti is giving the textbook definition of "archives," and I wish more
people had a copy of this textbook. I've never really liked this bit of
English language flexibility, -- wherein people created the verb
"archive" -- but have long since stopped trying to correct people when
they tell me they want to "archive" their records. At least it's better
than "dead file." What I particularly don't like about IT's creation of
the verb "archive" is that it carries with it the connotation of
permanence. People think that if they "archive" their data onto a disk
or tape that it is thereafter accessible permanently without any further
action or measures of care from anyone.

Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA