From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:30:23 -0500
Last I heard, the silver recovery aspect was costing more than the value of
what is being captured, then you still need to pay for destroying the blank
substrate.

A few firms were offering to 'accept' the film, doing the recovery
themselves, using what profit there was to destroy the substrate and keeping
the difference, but the laws have changed regarding the chemicals used in
the process and there are some States that don't allow their use any longer.

Depending on what's on the film (Classified, Confidential, Sensitive, PII,
PFI, PHI, etc.) , and if it's 35mm in aperture cards, 105mm sheet, 16mm in
cartridges or 16mm in sleeves, it may be problematic.

I know a Hammermill with the appropriate screen size can pulverize and
destroy film with sensitive content appropriately, but the polyester
substrate can jam it and there are generally extra fees to cover the cost of
shutdown/startup and manual cleaning.

If you can find a vendor that operates in a location that is allowed to
incinerate that type of material, that is your best bet.  The issue would be
secure transportation of the film to them for processing.

If you find a source, please feed it back to the list.  I contacted NAID,
PRISM, and a few vendors I know who are involved in destruction and none
were able to accommodate Classified material.

Larry