From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:46:11 -0500
We as RIM's wear many hats.  Ginny has made some very good points and we
as RIM's need to consider the historical value of records.  For instance,
we have a centralized records paper program in place.  Prior to
implementation of our centralized system, there were considerable records
that were sent offsite when the filing cabinets became full.  As a result,
when on site records came to Central Filing, these records were ignored.
Over the past year, I have been pulling these boxes from storage and
identifying the contents.  Some are coming into our records system as they
still have value and retention has not been achieved.  In other cases, the
records are disposed of as they have no value (historic, administrative,
financial etc)..  However, much of the information found in these boxes
are from the early days of the organization such as the details and
reports behind the reconstruction work of watercourse.  As this
information was never part of our records system, we had to create new
retention series to manage these.  In many cases, we were able to cull the
information and keep the "good stuff".

To make a long story even longer, we do not have an archivist on site. So,
I have had to learn how to distinguish historical material and retain it
within the organization.  The people who created this material in the
early 50's are long gone and the people who have replaced them give me a
blank stare when I ask if these still contain value.  As well, they just
won't spend the time to consider this material.

So the onus falls to me to manage this.  Part of me says, get rid of it
all.  But  as a 32 year veteran of this organization with the wisdom
gained through the years, and also as a CRM, this will not happen.  So
diligently, I cull through this information and do my part.

It has been a good exercise in that I have learned more about the
organization from the early days.  Also, offsite storage costs will be
reduced as previously it had a permanent retention.

John Annunziello, CRM, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"

"*PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT WHEN DECIDING TO PRINT THIS MESSAGE*

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Confidentiality Notice:

The information contained in this communication including any attachments
may be confidential, is intended only for use of the recipient(s) named
above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of the message is not
distribution,disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly
resend this communication to the sender and delete it permanently from
your computer system.

Thank you."