From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:17:51 -0500
government in Illinois does not operate under a retention schedule regime.
Rather in the event a unit of local government wishes to destroy records it
submits an application to the local records commission. Records may be
destroyed upon approval of the local records commission.

For example rules from the local Records Commission may be viewed here
http://tinyurl.com/2btrr6y

and  http://tinyurl.com/248c6lz

I think that is the reason for the city ordinance --e.g. its the usual way of
authorizing the city clerk or manager

I do believe that Buffalo Grove is in Lake County not Cook.  The above
reference is only provided for illustration purposes.

Approved applications are non expiring meaning that once a particular series is
approved one can keep on using it as a disposition authority.  However an
approved series for city a is not necessarity applicable to city b,

If you want to see the local records act you can find it at
http://tinyurl.com/28f69he

In the matter I full disclosure I should say that I am a former employee of the
Illinois State Archives and I still remember reports of field staff who were often
reminded by city clerks that they were elected officials and had real doubts as
to the logic of unelected public employees directing their activities.

David Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA