From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:53:48 -0500
This is the third article I've seen in the past couple of weeks about the
digital communications divide between 'young and old', but unlike the others
this one had some tidbits that were in the responses I sent to them.

It seems if by "young" you mean pre-teen to teen and especially unemployed
people who are not students communicating solely with each other, this
finding is true.  Given the value of decisions being made by this community,
I guess I'm okay with that.

However, take a look at the two examples below:

"...Katie Bird Hunter, 26, is on the other side of the digital
communications divide and finds her parents to be out of touch.... Like a
lot of younger people, Ms. Hunter, who works in construction management in
San Francisco, says e-mail has its place — namely work and other serious
business, like online shopping. She and others say they still regularly
check e-mail, in part because parents, teachers and bosses use it..."

Okay, so her parents are out of touch, but when it comes to 'serious
business', like work or ONLINE SHOPPING, e-mail has its place!  Online
shopping? seriously??  And yeah, those pesky bosses and teachers use it
still... how serious of them! =)

"Adam Horowitz, 23, who works as a technology consultant for a major
accounting firm in New York, spends all day on e-mail at his office. When he
leaves it behind, he picks up his phone and communicates with friends almost
entirely via texts."

Wow, now this guy spends ALL DAY ON e-mail at his office... but when he
leaves, and wants to blab with his pals, it's 'text time'.  I guess when
you're a consultant for a major acctg. firm, that's serious too. ;^)

One of the other articles I read cited a case where a student was LIVID that
her professor refused to accept a paper she submitted by e-mail that was
date/time stamped the day after it was due at 4:39am.  She said "who looks
for that stuff- the important thing was I sent it at all"... guess unlike
Ms. Katie Bird Hunter above, she didn't know the definition of serious stuff.

The time will come when snail mail will cease to exist entirely, e-mail will
be used less frequently, we'll adapt and grow 5 thumbs on each hand and text
at furious speeds... and shortly thereafter, we'll be saying texting is old
fashioned... and then what are we going to do with 5 sets of thumbs?

Wow, I must be REALLY OLD...I remember when being 'all thumbs' was an insult!

Zager and Evans anyone?  http://bit.ly/eMNBtU

Larry
[Yes, it's really me =) ]