From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:55:00 -0800
Over the weekend I saw an article which raised what I thought was an interesting Freedom of Information question.  Apparently a textbook publisher submitted freedom of information requests to 500+ public universities asking for grade distribution by course by instructor back to 2007.  They apparently intend to set up a website where this information would be available to registered users (e.g. students) who would be provided access based on a subscription fee or perhaps advertising model.  Well, my question is this.  Universities certainly have records of grades but they may not have the data produced and distributed in the way requested.  Under this type of circumstance would the recipient of such a request be required to create records to comply with the wishes of the requestor or could they simply say sorry we do not maintain such records.

David B. Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA, USA