From:
Christina Zamon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:52:19 -0500
So finally, after three years (!) of drafting a blanket records management policy our General Counsel's office approved it to go before our President's Council for final approval and low and behold, it was approved.  So what's the catch?  Well, the outcome of the meeting was that although the policy establishes a Records Committee to implement and make changes to the policy, the President requested that before we do anything we draft a written implementation policy that explains how we plan to implement the policy across the college.  Through talking with people (archivists and records managers) and looking at all sorts  of publications, websites, etc. I've never seen or heard anyone mention doing a written implementation policy.  Of course, that doesn't mean I get out of it but is there anyone out there who has ever written an implementation policy?  I have plenty of information on how to start a program and what I need but I'm wondering how much of that really needs to go into this document.

Since I haven't posted in a while let me restate my situation. I am a "lone arranger" trained as an archivist, not a records manager at a small college with zero staff (other than a guy I "borrow" to move boxes for me when I can't).  I worked with our General Counsel's office to draft the policy that was just approved and under the policy I am supposed to be the advisor to the departments across campus.  This means (at least I'm assuming since I'm sure none of our VPs will be doing this) that I will be doing all of the records surveys, inventories, training, and writing the schedules for each department on top of the many duties I perform in the course of my regular archival duties.  That being said, at this point, I've been told I will not get any additional staff nor is there money to hire a consultant (although I've been pleading my case for both!)

Any help on this front is very much appreciated!