From:
"Richard G. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:19:00 -0700
On 3/2/2011 2:02 PM, Nolene Sherman wrote:
> OK so here's a scenario ...
>
> Should any business units or IT, in general, be able to get copies of
> documents preserved for litigation for business purposes other than litigation?
If they exist you should be able to use them for whatever business
purpose they are needed for.  For instance, I have records
under multiple litigation holds; the same records.  Would I restrict the
users of legal hold #2 from using them because litigation
hold number 1 was first?  Would I tell the auditors that yes I have the
records you want but you can't see them?  I don't think so in either
case.  What one might have to do is somehow make a copy of the record
under hold an "Official Copy" through some verification process but not
release the
record copy itself.

> Should it be allowed only if those documents would otherwise still be available,
> but for some reason were lost or inadvertantly destroyed?  Should it not be
> allowed if the documents would have been destroyed if not for the hold?
> Should it not be allowed at all?
Shouldn't matter.  If you've got them, they are still records in your
possession.  To my mind, the only question is how you produce an "Official"
copy for the other use.
> My initial concern is that documents past their retention could get back into
> the mainstream records causing us to be out of compliance with policy once
> the hold is lifted and the documents held by legal are destroyed. Or by
> repurposing the records, do they then become new records?
They become new records.  There are many reasons records live past there
original retention period, audit needs, changes in the law, repurposing,
etc.
> What are your thoughts?
One idea of records management, to me, is to make our customer's work
lives as easy as we can.  We are the custodians of the records and not
the owners.  If we have them and they need them we should expedite that
transaction not hide behind something like the retention schedule or
legal hold because it may be inconvenient to produce them.  I'm not
pointing that at you Nolene but at some in RIM who think their internal
processes come before the needs of the enterprise.