From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 09:53:16 -0800
I agree with all who say "NO"

Reusing previous numbers is the same as not listing of codes in Accounting.
In my practise I saw very many examples when the code listing disappeared from the financial books and current codes don't have any logical sense with the previous years.
Also, sometime people wrongly think that nobody will replay by using code mentioned in the original document.
Another example from my archival practise - if from different reason Archives changes the numeration of files, there is the rule to keep list of re-numeration in front of the index.
I know that it is normal for researchers to order files according to references they have, some times from old publications, some times from their previous notes taken long time ago, and be sure that Archives in Old World are able to locate the files.
Also, it is very common in Old World to keep two numbers on registry - Archival number and Number of file in Records Management listing of files

Regards,

Alex Babin