From:
Todd Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:15:42 -0400
We currently have an Access database for managing our physical records.
This isn’t a perfect system, but it gets the job done. We would like to go with
a more sophisticated system that will allow us to use barcode tracking. There
are a couple of large indexing projects in the near future and it would be nice
to implement a new system prior to these projects.

However, our current project plan calls for vetting and implementing an
Electronic Records Management System (ERMS) in the next 12-24 months. I
realize many of the ERMS’s have a physical records management component
available as part of their suites.

So, do I purchase a physical records management system now that may or
may not be compatible with the ERMS we end up with or, do I continue to use
the Access Database to manage physical records until we know what ERMS
we want to go with – knowing I will likely have to re-index the large volume of
files we will index between now and when we purchase an ERMS.

Also, for those of you with records management systems in place for managing
physical (file, box) and electronic records, do you have one system that
handles both or do you have two separate systems? If you have two separate
systems, do they “talk” to each other so you can apply your File Plan/Records
Retention Schedule across all applicable media?

All thoughts and insight are appreciatied.

Todd Johnson, CRM, ERMm
Analyst - Records & Information Management
Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline