From:
Frank Guerino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 17:31:40 -0400
Hi Lee,

I personally found this interesting.  Having spent all of my career in
private sector, only dealing with Government as a client or regulator, and
having dealt with very large Financial, Pharma and Insurance companies, I
immediately started to recognize some misalignment between some of the
private sector's perspective on RM vs. that of the public sector.

Some things that popped into my mind:

- Given the huge volumes of information in channels like Email, how can an
enterprise ever possibly distinguish between Formal Records, Non-Records
and Personal Documents?  As a result, the attitude in many big enterprises
is "keep it all" with some documented purge period that conforms to
specific laws about retaining specific records.
- Once you have it "all" in your possession, it automatically becomes
litigation material that can be subpoena-ed and used for or against you,
whereas if you discard it and it doesn't violate any laws, it cannot be
used for or against you (double edged sword).
- In private sector, "Personal Documents" that are found on your
infrastructure can be used as Records for or against, during litigation.
- This brings up a different view/perspective of categorical segregation
that breaks things down a little differently than the document you pointed
us to: A) Legally Required Records vs. B) Voluntarily Retained Records vs.
C) Intentionally Unretained Records, where "A" often implies "Do the bare
minimum to be compliant without over-retaining to the point where it can
get us in trouble."

Are there any thoughts on all of this?  What views do other enterprises
use for categorical identification of the different types of Records vs.
non-Records?

My Best,

FG
--
Frank Guerino, Chairman
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)