From:
"Graves, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 17:05:03 -0500
There are a number of technical reasons this could be happening.  I don't know anything about the software in question, but I do know about general security access and why they are designed to give the "no record found" message.  I know this is a goofy example, but you wouldn't want someone to search for, "CEO blackmail photos" and get a response that says, "2 records found, but you don't have access to them."  In this example, you can imagine why the system shouldn't give any indication that the records exist unless the user has been given access.

As Alice said, the best approach is to ensure the user has access to everything they need.  However, if I owned the software, I would probably come up with some sort of compromise by changing the message to, "no records found or not authorized."  This would hopefully trigger the user to question whether they had access.  Of course the flip side is that they would always be questioning whether they had access.

--
Mark Graves
Omaha, NE