From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:37:17 -0500
I am late to this thread because I am just catching up after have a wonderful vacation in upstate New York and NYC (had lunch with Fred Grevin while there).

A couple of things I would add to this - in the book "The Myth of the Paperless Office", Abigail Sellen and Richard Harper describe the "affordance" of paper "quick, flexible navigation through and around documents (using bookmarks, tabs, etc.), reading across more than one document at once, marking up a document while reading, interweaving reading and writing" while the affordances of digital technologies are "storing and accessing large amounts of information, displaying multimedia documents, fast full-text searching, quick links to related materials, dynamically modifying or updating content".

This book was published in 2003 and thus does not reflect some of the enhancements of technology that have been made since then, but I think the points about the affordances of the different media are still the same - and we could probably all add to each list based on our own experiences with various technology tools and our own natural learning and content preferences.  I don't think we will ever reach a point where we totally dispense with some of the tactical (as in sense of touch) and tangible affordances of books, documents, photographs, etc. but I personally welcome a world where I can have my cake and eat it too by being able to consume the same content on the appropriate media for the purpose/intention at hand.....what a nice "affordance" that would be.  Oh BTW - I also want it all organized by someone else......!!

On the phone number subject - I am not a spring chicken so I remember the phone number of my childhood in Odessa, Texas in this progression - 2038, 22038, FE (Federal) 2-2038 (the other exchange was Emerson), to 915-332-2038.  This all over a period from the 50's to the 70's.  I don't know what the current area code for Odessa is, but at a later date, the area codes expanded, which made it much harder to identify the location of a person from their area code (Dallas was 214, Houston 713, Austin 512, etc. and so on across the US).  Now we all have cell phones and area codes mean nothing!!  I still have a landline and the best part of my phone number "life" is that the final four digits of my land line (yes I still have one) and cell are the same.  I have always requested easy to remember numbers - and if there were "good" ones available, was able to get them.  Have had the current ones for quite a while so don't know if that is still possible.

From a hot, hot, hot and dry, dry, dry Austin.....please someone send us some rain!!

Mary Hilliard, CRM