From:
Peyyi Wann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:21:07 -0600
Karen-

One option you can try is to utilize choice fields to control data entry
quality at the point of creation.  At my company, we require our business
units to create metadata using an online data transmittal form with
multiple choice fields to prevent data entry errors.  We use the drop-down
lists for standard metadata fields such as State, County, Year, etc.  In
addition, we require users to follow certain naming convention in free text
fields such as Title, Lessor etc.  The quality of metadata should be owned
jointly by both business units and Records Management.  Business units may
have the subject expertise, but RM really is the department most concerned
with metadata standards.  Ongoing user training and communication is
definitely the key to instill the vision of standard in the users but QC is
still necessary to ensure high accuracy rate and retrieval precision.  In
our current process which utilizes the document management feature of
SharePoint 2010, each saved data transmittal form becomes an entry in a
metadata list that is used to update the document library (through
automated workflow).  Prior to the upload of documents to the library,
records staff perform very thorough QC against the metadata list and make
changes on the list (which is in an Excel like data sheet view).  Documents
are uploaded in batches and not individually.

Peyyi Lu, MLS, ECMm

Technology and Training Coordinator | Records and Information | Plains
Exploration and Production Co. | 713-579-6821 | 717 Texas, Suite 2100,
Houston, TX 77002 | [log in to unmask]