From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:49:07 -0500
One of the greatest things about designing and installing vaults is that I am able to see close hand history that may never be on display or that only private collectors own and save for their own purposes.

I have a vault at AT&T that houses the diary of Alexander Graham Bell and Watson and has the first phrase actually heard over the telephone "Watson, come here I need you!" after Bell spilled some acid as the story goes. They have notes from the design and installation of the first Transatlantic phone cable.

I have another vault that has artifacts from Presidential Assassinations. One vault holds an amazing collection of the Earliest of the Old Lyme American Impressionist Art.  We have an entire vault dedicated to the largest collection of Harry Leslie Hoffman.
 http://www.flogris.org/learning/foxchase/html/harry_hoffman.php

He was an almost unknown genius.  He was famous for underwater paintings and traveled to the Galapagos Islands and records previously unrecorded wildlife modeling after Audubon but with an Impressionist style.  You can see a little of his work on line.

Town Hall Vaults are the best as local citizens may visit and view artifacts and history first hand.  Since museums keep 90% of their collections in storage, the more distributed the collections, the more hands on they are to viewers.  For example, large museums tend to display their most prized pieces all the time, so their actual space for rotational display is limited.  Think how much is priceless at the Smithonian that will never be displayed.

One thing I like is that most often, these collections will be donated along with their vaults to an entity that will promise to display the collections.

Native American Nations are the best as they vault their treasured and honored collections and then display them aggressively in beautiful museums and archival or history centers.  Here history is protected from all risks and no hacker can make it all vanish. Stradavari, Disney, Jobs, a vast amount of Early American Historical Characters back to the Vikings and Native Americans.  What an experience!

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM