From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:13:49 -0800
In a CNC shop, they could well have notes on process parameters and
techniques, possibly hand-written.
  They guy is in the shop next to a machine, testing out a method or
technique to do some tricky bit of work.
  He writes it down in a notebook, maybe just on grid papler or lined paper.

  Ideally, you'd regularly run copies and keep them in the office.
Yeah, lotsa luck.
  So he very well could have posession of the only copies of that
information that was developed (perhaps mostly by him) on their
equipment in their shop.
  Speaking from experience, it can be really time consuming and tedius
to test and develop reliable processes.
  (thinking of my years flogging lasers at Amada!)

  regards
  Jay