From:
"Creamer, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:44:26 -0400
If you have a fixed collection, or one that grows slowly, a flat file
system can be an easy and simple choice, especially if your access to
I.T. resources is limited (and in Records Management when has that ever
been not true).

However, if your database gets too large, (with D-Base 5 it was just
under 20,000 records where it reached it's limit) you will suddenly
smack up against the scalability problem and performance will go
bye-bye.  For that reason alone, you have to limit the metadata, and
every other data related element in your flat file database.

I'd also try to design the database with as many discrete data fields as
possible, and avoid large free text fields. This will make the
transition to a relational database easier, should you ever need to do
that.

Bill Creamer
Records & Conflicts Manager
NY NY 10019