From:
Clifford Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:39:23 +0100
Hi Kathy,

My personal opinion is that it would be appropriate to keep the record in
the original electronic format if you cannot capture all the metadata that
proves the originals integrity. A classic example would be converting
emails to PDF, if you do not capture the metadata associated with its
original transmission and receipt it may be difficult to prove its
authenticity. I would also do a risk impact as part of the consideration
as you may not care for integrity if it is purely for internal reference
purposes.

Not a clear cut answer but hope it adds value

Regards,

Clifford Campbell

Records Management Consultant
Group Information Security
Standard Life PLC

Kathey Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
18/04/2012 14:22
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Legal Requirements for Native Format Documents that are Electronic
Archived

Good Morning List,

Is it a legal or regulatory requirement when archiving electronic records
maintain the electronic document in its original form (e.g. Word, Excel,
Primivera or PDF).  I currently archive electronically into Laserfiche.
Some
things are scanned and I am also pulling the native document into the
program
from our network servers and add the metadata.  There is some concern that

electronically archived documentation must stay in its original form. Does

anyone know if this is true, and what supports this requirement?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Kathey E. Mullen
Poole and Kent Corporation
Inactive Records Coordinator

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

This e-mail is confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient,
please return it to us and do not retain or disclose it. We filter and
monitor e-mails in order to protect our system and the integrity,
confidentiality and availability of e-mails. We cannot guarantee that
e-mails are risk free and are not responsible for any related damage or
unauthorised alteration of e-mails by third parties after sending.

For more information on Standard Life group, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

Standard Life plc (SC286832), Standard Life Assurance Limited* (SC286833)
and Standard Life Employee Services Limited (SC271355) are all registered
in Scotland at Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH.
*Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. 0131 225
2552. Calls may be recorded/monitored. Standard Life group includes
Standard Life plc and its subsidiaries.

Please consider the environment. Think - before you print.