From:
Cherise Forbes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 14:29:37 -0400
I know we are ALL attached to our mobile devices these days, but I really do think there is a point of going too far. I just returned from my monthly ARMA meeting and am honestly appalled at the lack of professionalism and sheer manners of SOME of our younger crowd.

During this meeting we had two very good speakers and two very rude people.   One had her head bent down texting on her  phone the entire meeting, smiling and laughing at whatever conversation she was involved in and often stopped  to show pictures to the person sitting next to her .  The other sat on their iPad most of the meeting on Facebook. It was very clear to see exactly what site she was on to everyone at her table and those at tables nearby.   Personally, and call me old fashioned, but I find this EXTREMELY rude not only to the speaker, but to others around them.  Not to mention they are most likely at this meeting on their employers dime and time (to sit and text/Facebook for two hours??)  Why bother to come? (and I by no means limit this to young people as I've seen many of all ages act this way. It just happened to be the young folks in this instance.)

I guess my question is, is this just something we have to chalk up to "that's just how it is these days" or should we try to keep a level of etiquette in this ever increasing electronic world we live in?  And if we do want to have a level of etiquette, what is the proper way to communicate it?

Perhaps I am a dinosaur failing to keep up....

Cherise Forbes
Sr. Global Archivist
678/638-3658

are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
the system manager: [log in to unmask] This e-mail and its
attachments have been scanned for the presence of computer
viruses, however it is always advisable to run a virus check on
e-mails and attachments before opening them.