From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 20:45:08 +0000
I do have a couple of comments to make on this:  First, I was at a FUNERAL and someone behind me was audibly texting.  I donned my very best "mean Mom" stare and turned around and focused it on her......amazingly she stopped immediately.  Of course, one doesn't always want to do the stare.....but it does usually work.

I was the speaker at our ARMA chapter today - there were a couple of people looking at their phones at one point, but honestly, that isn't a big deal to me either, although as a speaker I always love the people who seem to be interacting with the topic with faces that appear to be engaged.  But sometimes people do need to communicate (or sleep or daydream) and as has been said, they will miss out on the message.....too bad for them.

One interesting side note on "young people" is that my two sons from the time they were teenagers and into their young adulthood are very tuned in to the desirability of being present with the people you are dining or conversing with.  They didn't get this from me - although if I had been thinking, I would have mentioned it.  They do not answer phones or check text and have chided me for answering their calls when I am having dinner with friends.  I claim the Mom card as in "I will always take your calls because there is nothing more important to me" since I know they don't idly call to chit chat (although I would love that too!!),

Mary Hilliard