From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 11:09:11 -0400
David,
You pose some interesting theories but I think the issue is based on two
things:
1.  People talking on phones generally speak much louder than if they were
having a conversation with someone sitting next them;
2.  People talking on phones seem to be unaware of the topics they are
discussing and really not conscious that others are listening.

Yes, there are times that two or more people will have a very heated
"private" discussion in a public venue - and that is considered quite rude.

In regards to discussing private issues in public I remember in my early
days in sales.  I called clients and my office throughout the day from pay
phones - wherever I could find them.  One of my colleagues heard a
competitor on the next phone telling his office about the big proposal he
had just delivered to a specific client.  My colleague immediately called
the client (she knew them quite well) and was able to get the order:)

When I grew up we were reminded that "Your freedom ends where my nose
begins".  That applies to audible intrusions as well.

We all lose our cool/manners at times, and we need to be reminded that we
are being rude to others.  The issue with the electronic media is that we
lose contact with our physical environment when we are engrossed in a phone
conversation, email thread etc.  That is precisely why talking on a cell
phone, texting etc is not legal while driving in many states - it is
essentially distracting the person on the phone from paying attention to
the road and traffic.

The problem is not with those within earshot, but with the person creating
the disturbance.
Thanks,
Mary
Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371