From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 11:54:25 -0400
I think my favorite line from this article (which is overall a fantastic treatment of the topics of the consumerization of technology and the BYOD movement) is this:

"According to IBM's CIO, employees 'will find the most appropriate tool to get their job done. I want to make sure I can enable them to do that, but in a way that safeguards the integrity of our business.'"

IMO, we should all be taking this same perspective with the areas we are responsible for.  As stated earlier in the piece, the days of the parent/child relationship are effectively over in many cases.  We must facilitate more often than we mandate.  Rules must be validated and promulgated with specific regard to business goals and the entity's risk appetite, and then carefully implemented so as to not unnecessarily impede the entity's ability to meet is goals.

Thanks, Larry, for bringing this article to light.  I intend to share it widely.

Julie

Sent from my iPad