From:
Sam McCollum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:12:33 -0600
Angela,

  I have read the latest information governance emails with some interest.
There seems to be a lot of confusion around the roles of Information
Governance, Audit, and Risk Management. Hopefully my thoughts on the
subject will be more enlightening then confusing. My comments are drawn
from our experiences at ENMAX Corporation in the development of an
Information governance function at the strategic/corporate level.

  Let me start with our definition of Information Governance -

'An accountability framework ... that includes the people, processes,
policy and technology ... that ensure the effective management of
information ... to enable an organization to achieve its strategic goals
and business programs.'  There are a number of good definitions already out
there in our industry but please bear with me for a moment and just
consider the above definition.

   First, we propose that Information Governance (IG) is a strategic
(accountable) function rather then the operations function of Information
Management. Second, IG must consider the input and effect of people
(culture), business processes, policy, and information technology in
developing an effective governing information function. Third, IG should
primarily be about the proper management of information. Finally, IG has
the responsibility to ensure a proper balance between compliance
requirements (part of corporate strategy), and an organization's business
goals.

   To effectively meet the fourth requirement, IG needs to develop an
information management strategy that is consistent with the overall
corporate strategy. The deliverables from this strategy development would
be a multi-year roadmap (of necessary IM improvement/projects) and a
strategic plan. The process used to develop this strategy should include
using the GARP Principles and Maturity Model as well as other strategic
tools.

  Once that IM strategy has been accepted by all affected parties and
approved by senior management, then the IG function would be responsible
for the policy development, training and education, and adherence to
policy. The IG function should then use Corporate Audit and Risk Management
to assist them in their role of ensuring the proper management of
information by both Information Operations and user departments. In other
words, IG develops the policy and controls, Audit checks for compliance,
and Risk Management determines the risks associated with non-compliance.

  Pat Cunningham rightfully suggested that the roles of Information
Management and Information Technology are different.  We might say that IT
focuses on document management (store, manipulate, and then retrieve
information) and IM focuses on information management (indexing,
classification, retention, disposition, etc). IT also focuses on electronic
information only. IM focused on all information (paper, electronic , data,
etc).

  Information Governance (IG) is vital to getting the 'ear' of senior
management. Most information management groups are concerned with the
'operations' of information management. When talking to senior management,
they tend to talk around 'operations' issues. It has been my experience
that when presenting to senior management, we need to get our point across
in 3 slides or less. These slides should be strategic in nature as opposed
to talking about operations issues. They should be simple as opposed to
complex (refer to GARP rather then D of D standards). Also audits usually
have a problem with the same entity following the rules and also being
responsible for governing their adherence to those rules. That is one
reason for separate information operations and information governance
functions.

   I hope that these few comments will help to clear the air; or at least
prompt more useful discussion.

Sam McCollum, MBA, CRM
SIMC Coaching

--