From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:09:21 -0700
Seriously folks, if you go clicking on every link in your inbox, you're going to find all sorts of nasties. When you see an email with no subject line and only a link as the body of the message (particularly if the URL is something along the lines of "internetcoolcash.com"), you have to expect that it is garbage. Delete it and move on.

And for those of you sharing links to other places, please be sure to put some context around what you post so we know that you haven't been infected. And tell your Mom to stop sending you unattributed links to stuff because that's how people get infected in the first place.

My frustration level on this topic is very high: http://cunninghamabovetherim.blogspot.com/2012/07/otr-why-are-phishing-messages-so-lame.html

By the way, if you have a computer infected with the DNS bug, here's a simple solution to solving that problem:

1) Turn off your computer.
2) Unplug all the wires coming out of the computer, neatly coil them and wrap with rubber bands.
3) Find the box your computer came in.
4) Place the computer and cables in the box, just the way it came.
5) Go to the place where you bought the computer.
6) Drop it off at the service desk and tell them you are too stupid to own a computer.

Yes, that's harsh. But the half million infected computers remain infected because the users are too cheap or lazy to buy proper antivirus protection and / or they are too stupid to follow the simple instructions on how to detect and rid themselves of this problem. Frankly, I like the idea of cutting off their Internet access.

I see a lot of consequences of stupid computer use every day. I have a list of employees and contractors who decided that downloading pirated software was the way to go. In several instances, they downloaded commercially available (i.e. stuff you have to pay for) antivirus software that was "free" (i.e. pirated and posted to the Internet) and came fully equipped with a virus, which was detected by our systems. Now that employee is being investigated and could lose his or her job because they decided to pirate software. Every time I see this, I shake my head. Yes, people can make a mistake and click something or open something they shouldn't. But far too many people continue to think, "If it is on the Internet, it has to be free". I have no sympathy for them.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM, CIP, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell