From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:54:03 -0700
Alex-

I'm curious how you arrived at this arbitrary time frame?

Typically in RM, retention is based on CONTENT, not form/format.  Email is
a method of delivery of information, it is not a 'record series' or
'category' in and of itself.

While some email may be discarded immediately upon receipt once read based
on the content/context, some email may have a VERY long term retention
value, up to Permanent in some cases.

As an example, in the Federal Government, even for Contractors some items
ARE Permanent.

https://records-int.llnl.gov/retention/pdf/schedule_1.pdf

5.1 Records of High-Level Officials. (N1-434-98-25, item 5.1)
Unique substantive records relating to the activities of high level
officials (to
include scientific and technical staff-Federal or contractor), e.g.,
Secretarial
officers, heads of program offices, heads of offices, their deputies and
assistants;
the heads of staff offices, directors of offices, or equivalent; principal
field
officials; and staff assistants to all these aforementioned officials, such
as special
assistants, confidential assistants, and administrative assistants; and
career Federal
employees, political appointees, and officers of the Armed Forces serving in
equivalent or comparable positions; also includes equivalent contractor
officials.
Examples of these records include, but are not limited to calendars,
appointment
books, schedules, logs, diaries, and other records documenting meetings,
appointments, telephone calls, trips, visits, and other activities while
serving in an
official capacity.

Permanent. Cut off at the end of the fiscal year. Transfer to NARA in 5 year
blocks when 25 years old.

So if the law firm is involved in work supporting a Contractor to a Federal
Agency, this MAY apply to certain items in their email repository.

I'd be cautious to provide guidance to anyone that a fixed term across the
board for retention of email is an adequate course of action.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA