From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:10:08 -0400
As far as I know (and I was in the legal industry for a decade), red rope
refers to Red Rope - a product name for S&W's expandable folders.  In
addition to Red Rope, I've also heard that kind of folder referred to
"gussets", "buckets", "expandables", and Redwelds (another brand name).  In
the firms I've worked with who refer to expandable folders as red ropes,
they did not also refer to standard folders as red ropes - only the
expandable ones (probably because that is was it said on the outside of the
box).

It may be less of a mystery than it appears.  If you think there is still a
mystery to unravel (pardon the pun), maybe ask S&W why they named their
expandable folders Red Rope ...?

Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM