From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:56:45 -0500
It would be helpful if people would not politicize these issues based on political beliefs but instead try to develop an effective solution.

In these shootings we often find that the people involved were disturbed and they also had access to very violent shooter games and often watched violent movies.

So it is a matrix of things that seems to be an indicator of future behavior.  As records managers, it should be simple to create a recipe and keep records of those people who have seen X number of violent movies.  (We should create something more effective than PG-13 and R. If you have 10 killings then it is R-10. Anyone under 18 should not be able to see more than an R-1. )  So again records management could track the number of violent scenes and once a person had attended X number of violent scenes and owned a shooter game, that person would be brought in for counseling and all weapons removed from their household.

Again, vandalism and outbursts in school foretell violent outbursts, so once a student starts to develop a rap sheet of sorts, they would be brought in for counseling and all guns removed from their homes.

Guns don’t shoot people, people shoot people.  In fact, last year in over 2,500 situations, a citizen with a carry or concealed handgun permit stopped a shooter and saved lives.   But apparently there are no records managers keeping track of this; or the Press refuses to track the effects.

As a point of records keeping news, England has 3.5 times more violent crime than the U.S. on a per capita basis  and they have strict guns laws. So gun laws are not the solution unless they are tied into reining in Hollywood.  I think locking Tarrantino is in order since he is the leader of the violence is good fraternity.  Make it illegal to show actual violence in movies.  Go back to the Hitchcock approach where you only imagine it.

But it seems that a group of 2,000 records managers could pull together the appropriate statistics on all sides to suggest an intelligent solution.  The most dangerous thing in the world is congested cities so we should disperse people to the country.  Eliminate the ghetto as we know it.  ( I know we cannot do that but why not discuss how we could have some impact.  I bet more kids are killed in DC and NYC every year than happened in Connecticut.  Where is the records manager to track this? Why is killing these kids not an issue?)

The same people that want to gather up every gun thinks that movies and gaming that are extremely violent has no effect on their kids. Movies do have an effect on your thoughts. After seeing “Man on Fire” and “Taken” I could barely stand to see my kids walk out the door.  I spent a fortune on pizza and taking kids out to dinner to keep my daughter and her friends under my watchful eye for as many hours as I could make happen.

I watched Roy Rogers shoot the gun out of the hand of the bad guy or the Lone Ranger catch them with his lasso.  None of those made me want to be violent. Anything more violent than Mongo in “Blazing Saddles” should be banned.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM