From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:02:52 -0800
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Let's take a short step backwards to last night. Some of you may recall my
> post about imaging. I neglectfully didn't use the term "object" when
> describing the contents of a document management system. In my mind,
> "object" has a very definitive understanding as any electronic file which
> is sensible by itself through a computer program.
>
> I dislike using the term "document" because people tend to equate
> "document" to paper alone. Likewise, the term "record" tends to make people
> think of paper alone. "Object" is more vague as to form and in the IT
> world, has meaning. But, as we've seen here, "object" (to Larry) will refer
> to a physical form like a bullet or a tissue sample. Some folks refer to
> these items as "ephemera", or "artifacts". But "artifacts" has a different
> meaning to the IT crowd. "Ephemera" has a specific documentary meaning to
> the archives crowd.
>
> I suspect that all of this confusion is why the legal crowd has settled
> upon the term "electronically stored information" to encompass structured
> and unstructured information. Everything else is then some sort of physical
> information or a physical object.

"Digital Object" is far from an uncommon term though....

http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/doa.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_object_identifier

http://www.library.illinois.edu/committee/digiobject/charge.html
(heck, this one even addresses 'governance' ) =)

I tried for nearly a decade to promote the use of the term "Information
Asset" and had soem success here. but it never has seemed to catch on in a
greater scale- but to me it makes perfect sense to sell this concept to
business segments.  The intent was to point to the fact that information
has VALUE, like other assets, and it needs to be protected and managed as
such.

My first exposure to the concept of a digital object was when we were
trying to describe/define scans or images of physical source materials-
something that wasn't "born digital" and couldn't be manipulated,
re-purposed or revised without using OCR/ICR or an overlay of some type.
Although a full version of Adobe Pro allows you to "change" PDFs, they
aren't REALLY electronic, they are simply stored electronically.
Eventually, we settled on using "Digital Format Information" and started
working on a guideline for how to manage anything created or stored in a
digital format, but it didn't go too far.

Larry

Oh and as for this whole "Information Governance" craze?  Let's see where
this term is in 5 or 10 years... we've seen em come and we've seen em go...
no matter how many times it gets re-branded, the principles applied all
seem to come back to basic RM practices with a twist.

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA