From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 01:18:24 +0000
In the recent threads regarding IG, many people commented on the lack of a uniform definition.  While it's true that each organization may choose to customize what IG entails in its own unique environment, recent research that I've been engaged in uncovered a clear timeline for the evolution of IG, including its definition.  I uncovered five significant definitions, culminating in what now can (arguably) be considered the "official" definition, taken from ARMA's most current Glossary of RIM Terms:

08/04/2009
"Information governance is essentially the practices and technologies involved with proactively managing what information is retained, where it is stored and for how long, who has access to it and how it is protected."1

12/22/2009
"Information governance is the specification of decision rights and an accountability framework to encourage desirable behavior in the valuation, creation, storage, use, archiving and deletion of information.  It includes the processes, roles, standards and metrics that ensure the effective and efficient use of information to enable an organization to achieve its goals."2

10/10/2011
"A comprehensive program of controls, processes, and technologies designed to help organizations maximize the value of information assets while minimizing associated risks and costs."3

08/27/2012 [Law Firm Specific]
"IG is an enterprise-wide approach to the management and protection of a law firm's client and business information assets.  An effective IG Program:
--  Enables lawyers to meet their professional responsibility regarding client information;
--  Recognizes an expanding set of regulatory and privacy requirements that apply to firm and client information;
--  And relies upon a culture of participation and collaboration within the entire firm."4

09/2012
"A strategic framework composed of standards, processes, roles, and metrics that hold organizations and individuals accountable to create, organize, secure, maintain, use, and dispose of information in ways that align with and contribute to the organization's goals."5

1.	https://451research.com/report-long?icid=882
2.	http://infogovernance.blogspot.com
3.	http://ediscoveryjournal.com/reports/?mode=edj-reports&id=10; abstract available at http://ediscoveryjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/edj-reports/EDJ_Vialumina_Info_Gov_Report_abstract.pdf
4.	http://www.ironmountain.com/~/media/Files/Iron%20Mountain/Knowledge%20Center/Reference%20Library/White%20Paper/A/A%20Proposed%20Law%20Firm%20Information%20Governance%20Framework.pdf
5.	ARMA INT'L, GLOSSARY OF RECORDS AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT TERMS 28 (2012)

I only speak for myself when I say that I'm not in the least confused about what IG is and is not.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.