From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:35:02 -0700
Cool discussion.

In my current role, I manage the document production and e-discovery for the majority of our litigation matters. I just did a quick scan of a few of the Subpoena Duces Tecums I have on file. Each subpoena includes a definition of "records" or "documents". Fascinating how each differs. So even within the legal community requesting production there is no standard definition. Generally there is some end clause that will include the Universe.

I've sent an example to the listserv a long time ago, but here's one just in case you're curious:

"Document(s)" means any recorded material in any form, including without limitation, any letter, report, memorandum, message, email, computer print-out, book, pamphlet, periodical, telegram, notation of a telephone conference, microfilm, microfiche, chart, map, graph, photograph, motion picture, videotape, invoice, check, receipt, facsimile, electronic or other transcription or taping of telephone calls or conferences, or any other recorded matter of any sort".

Somewhere around here I have a couple subpoenas that include well drilling samples in the document definition. Not quite core samples, but close :)

Rock on!
Sharon

PS Seattle rock band Heart gets inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this month.

Sharon Burnett, CRM
Seattle Washington USA

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apart
and see why."