From:
Richard Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 01:19:07 +0000
There was some interest in E-D Program Frameworks and their relation to the EDRM. Here's my take in a nutshell. In "How to Develop and Implement Your Discovery Readiness Program" I describe a comprehensive methodology and Program Framework for discovery readiness. The framework it describes has four components: 1) Overall Strategy, 2) Governance and Operations, 3) Information Architecture, 4) Process Design and Implementation, 5) Architecture and Technology, and 6) Communications and Training. The general framework can be used for E-D, RM, ECM, Social Collaboration, and other content-intensive programs. What changes are the specifics for each of the 6 components.

Here's how the Program Framework relates to the EDRM:
*       Component #4 addresses how you should design and roll out the E-D processes -- which instantiate the EDRM... with additional focus on process management and pre-trigger information management.
*       Component #5 addresses which technologies you should use to facilitate the E-D processes you defined in #4. These are mapped to the EDRM.
*       Component #1 - the Overall Strategy - should include a financial analysis of your most viable options to determine and justify which approach to take. I describe such an analysis in "Which Part of E-Discovery should You Fix First?" The analysis maps directly to the EDRM and addresses the cost and risk impact of each stage in the EDRM.
*       Then in  "How to Calculate ROI for E-Discovery (with Calculator)", I walk through how to do an ROI assessment for E-D and provide a downloadable E-D ROI calculator. It's a little hard to explain without the calculator in front of us, but the calculator maps the important cost variables as they differ in each stage of the EDRM "funnel" . In each event the number of custodians, the number of relevant systems and documents, the time spent on each document, and the labor cost of each participant changes in each stage.
*        Finally, in "E-D Process Flow Diagrams for Your Current and Target Future State", I provide downloadable Current State and target Future State flow diagrams that are pretty typical and so can be used as starters for anyone who wants to begin evaluating their own E-D processes. The flow diagrams map directly onto each stage of the EDRM.

Here are the source docs and links:
*       "How to Develop and Implement Your Discovery Readiness Program": http://www.richardmedinadoculabs.com/1/post/2013/04/how-to-develop-and-implement-your-discovery-readiness-program.html
*       "Which Part of E-Discovery should You Fix First?": http://www.richardmedinadoculabs.com/1/post/2013/03/which-part-of-e-discovery-should-you-fix-first1.html
*       "How to Calculate ROI for E-Discovery (with Calculator)": http://www.richardmedinadoculabs.com/1/post/2013/04/how-to-calculate-roi-for-e-discovery-with-calculator.html
*       "E-D Process Flow Diagrams for Your Current and Target Future State": http://www.richardmedinadoculabs.com/1/post/2013/04/e-d-process-flow-diagrams-for-your-current-and-target-future-state.html