From:
"McLallen, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:31:53 +0000
>Did you evolve into record and information management or was this career something you knew you
>wanted to do?  When did you first have that epiphany?

Stumbled into it. In 1977, I was a student at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley. My father had been covering the full costs of my education, but was forced into returement and could no longer afford to support me. Student loans & grants were structured a little differently then, but I managed to get a small loan and was accepted to the University's work/study program. (Max 12 hrs per week at $2.50/hr.) I had been working in school libraries since late elementary school, so I asked for a job in the library and got assigned to the Inter-Library Loan unit. After about a year, I realized that the meager funding I was receiving didn't cut it. I needed a full-time job, and would need to drop out and find one. My supervisor in the library mentioned that the University's Micrographics Unit was hiring. I applied and got the job, learning to use rotary, planetary and step-and-repeat cameras to film doctoral dissertations, maps, etc. under Dr. Bob Markham.

Fast forward eight years to 1986. I had relocated, married and worked in retail & fast food for several years, when my wife, knowing of my background, saw a job advertisement doing microfilming for Boulder County. Again I got hired and started producing microfilm as a one-person operation. Joined the NMA - National Micrographics Association, which eventually morphed into AIIM. This led me to ARMA, and learning what Records Management was, and noticed that the County had no real program in place, though a few departments had retention schedules. I suggested to my supervisor, the Administrative Services Director, that a RIM program be established, and he responded "go for it."

No epiphany, pure evolution.  A series of events that got the job dumped into my lap.

David McLallen
Boulder County Records Manager
Boulder CO