From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:12:46 -0500
In the article where I am needling together Gary’s threads.......Verbal Needlepoint if you will; I was doing more research and I found a piece about Cyber Security & Internet Access and they used  the Maslow Model in which the formula follows a bottom-to-top pyramid of base needs that lead into higher needs. The first base need must be met before the next need level can even be considered. As lower level needs are met, higher level ones become the focus, moving further and further up to the top of the pyramid.

I doubt we could achieve total agreement here on what the Records Management Pyramid would look like; but in the  in the Cyber Security piece they described the bottom of the pyramid:

5) Optimum performance, speed
4) Trust.
3) Connectivity
2) Resilience
1) Access

How would your pyramid look?

Is Resilience or Persistence of the Records the base need?  Then Integrity or Accuracy of the records? Accessibility of the records to management next?  What about Security of the records? Legal Support. Ease and cost of storage and archiving?

Maybe this has already been developed by someone on the List.

Example of various pyramids are shown on:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23902918

My version of the pyramid based on what I do for a living would be:

Level 5  Trust in the Records Management Staff, compliance with the law
Level 4  Accessibility to records at all times
Level 3  Integrity and Accuracy of the Records
Level 2  Longevity of the Records, Persistence
Level 1  Security of the Records in their various formats

Your suggestions will not necessarily be limited to five levels.

IN 1980 the records manager and I would be more in sync.  But today the RM’s seem to be thinking more along the lines of the IT people.

What do you think Gary?  You started this discussion.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM