From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:55:55 -0800
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Mariani, Carolyn
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> We are re-visiting our policy for handling the personnel files of
> employees who move from one business unit to a new position in another
> business unit, including corporate headquarters.  Currently each business
> must start a new file from scratch, since the employee's personnel file is
> not transferred with her/him, and no copies are to be made and forwarded to
> the new location.  You can envision the problems this causes, as the new
> business will request copies (time, money, irritation) and the former
> location must decide how to manage the retention period, which is based on
> when the employee leaves the company (definitely an irritation).
>
> Does anyone have a standard practice (electronic tracking device ?) that
> helps manage this practice?  I'm happy to receive a message by phone or
> email.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carolyn Mariani

Carolyn-

Much of the answer to your question depends on Policy and procedures
established by your organization as a whole.

With an employer (to remain nameless) of mine, the policy was there was ONE
Official Personnel File, (OPF) which was managed by HR.

I'll start with the process in a paper based environment.

Certain documents were to be forwarded by the current department to the OPF
on generation/receipt, and if the Department chose to, they could retain a
convenience copy for local reference. If not, they could review the file in
HR.

In addition, a working supervisor in the current organization could retain
a convenience copy of documents THEY generated, but they were not obligated
to.  Their option was to use the Departmental copy, when needed.

When an employee transferred, the current organization was to "close" the
Departmental File and after culling and securely destroying extraneous
items as instructed by HR, the file was forwarded to HR for comparison to
and updating of the OPF.

A supervisor's file was to be securely destroyed when the employee
transferred, either within or out of a department.
Now, the process in our "less paper intensive" environment.

Legacy OPFs were imaged in accordance with very strict QC requirements and
content was indexed and stored electronically by HR.  Permissions were
established to allow access to appropriate individuals in the current
organization.  PAPER DOCUMENTS WERE NOT DESTROYED, based on opinion from
Legal Counsel. Primary reason?  Length of required retention.

New content was either added in native format or imaged and added as
generated/received; ongoing changes to processes were made to establish
workflows and eliminate the majority of paper processes.

Current organization and supervisors had access to "appropriate portions"
of OPF while employee was in the organization; permissions were changed as
staffing changed or when employee transferred.

New organization was granted access and permissions were changed as
staffing changed.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972 Primary
reason? *