From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 13:32:26 -0500
Larry,

I agree with you on the guidance - we have both a standard and a policy
that spells out what the tapes/CDs are for (backup/disaster recovery
purposes) as well as the rotation schedule.  But I am not sure the need for
including on a retention schedule if the sole purpose is for disaster
recovery purposes.  Since the records are most likely maintained in a
repository of some type (SharePoint, shared drives, ERP, etc) the back-ups
could be considered the storage media for convenience copies.  If a record
of the destruction is to be retained, I would say the responsibility for
retaining these is with your IS group, not you.  That has been the policy
for other organizations I have worked for, both public and private.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Virginia Beach, VA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco