From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:49:54 -0700
On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 6:45 AM, Steve Richards <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> First of all … Amy’s Disclosure.  I’m a dirty, rotten, stinkin owner of a
> commercial records management facility.\

Yeah, but those of us who KNOW YOU, even the ones who sit on the NFPA and
REALLY don't like the entire 'sphere' of CRC operators, KNOW you're one of
the good guys....

> And when I do the simple math on what is being charged, it appears that
> the federal government is paying a little less than 51 cents per cubic foot
> per month to store their records with the National Archives.  Holy Smoke!
> Have I deciphered this incorrectly (I’m from Nashville and my math can
> easily be questioned.)  But this appears to be an enormous amount of money
> paid for records storage – much higher than we charge here in Nashville.
>
> So where am I going wrong here?

Well, before some "Vandy Guy" tells you, the FIRST PLACE you went wrong was
to include the entire digest of posts in your response... thankfully, it
was a slow day and it was only 5 posts long!  =)

 As for your math and all, YOU didn't go wrong, the article simply failed
to break out the costs, and instead gave a lump sum for storage and
services related to those boxes in the FRCs.  Pull, refile, transport, etc
were all oinclude din that because the FRC invoices *DO* break these out as
line items, but the overall bill is what was reflected in the report.

And that SORTA makes sense, because they wouldn't have paid for services
related to the items if they hadn't remained in storage.

But what really irked me about the whole deal was the reason they were
retained beyond the required retention period was simple LAZINESS on the
part of the IRS peeps responsible for the records being stored.  They were
given destruction notices, had ample time to review and approve them, and
simply IGNORED THEM for lengthy periods of time, in some cases YEARS.

Also, as someone who has been audited in the past (when I was running a RM
consulting and storage business), I KNOW FOR A FACT that the local IRS
office DOES NOT retain tax filings for 7 years, much less longer.  I was
audited 4 years after I had filed and they required *ME* to produce all of
the records, because they "had dispositioned the original filings in the
course of normal business, after 3 years".  All they had was what data had
been entered into the system from my filing and a percentage of expenses as
opposed to income raised a red flag.

So they invited me to a Federal necktie party and asked me to BRING MY OWN
NOOSE !!!!

Larry

--
Larry