From:
"Cohen, Stephen E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2015 17:22:01 +0000
Digitization is a way to preserve the original. Technically, it isn't preservation. It keeps the original from deteriorating through repeated handling, thereby preserving it. The digital (or surrogate) is a "use" copy.

While a digital version of a document can replace a physical document, I would not consider it a preservation strategy but more of an access or use strategy. As Dean brought up, there are a plethora of technical issues with digital objects that further hinders digitization as a preservation option.

Stephen Cohen, CRM
MetLife | Legal Affairs | 212-578-2373