From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 16:35:10 +0000
I have been an ARMA member since 1994.  My experience includes positions from local chapter leadership to International committees.  I have been involved with standards, education, industry specific groups (remember those?), competencies, and more.  I don't have much knowledge about AIIM so this message is about ARMA only.

There are new ARMA members who also subscribe to the listserv.  My son is one of these.  I see the value he gets from both.  In no way do I want to discourage those who are new to our profession so I hope my comments are not seen as tearing down the Association.

My experience over more than 20 years with ARMA provides a broad and lengthy perspective.  Yes there are questions about the direction that ARMA has taken by focusing on IG.  But I can understand and accept that we have to choose a path and commit to that.  You cannot make everyone happy.  It would also be good to see collaboration between groups such as AIIM and ARMA.  If that included creation of a new entity I am in favor as it would strengthen our profession.

What I don't accept and fail to understand is how an association of and for its members has become an organization that operates much more like a private business.  The model I see now seems to be about Headquarters and not about members.  Since when does a member-driven organization refuse to open its financial information to the very people who make up the stakeholders?  Talk about the Principle of Transparency!  And why can't the members know what the membership numbers are as well as what kind of memberships these represent?

Who owns ARMA?  If it is the members then I propose we take it back.  Hold our Board members accountable to us.  Elect new Board members who will open up Headquarters and let some light in.  I for one want to know these things so I understand what to expect from the organization and how I can be a part of helping it grow.

Don't get me wrong.  Headquarters needs the ability to do their jobs on a day-to-day basis.  This isn't about micro-management.  But I want to have HQ numbers listed on the Website so I know who to call when I need something.  It is my Association.  I want to use it as a resource to be a better professional.  Absent these things, I have to wonder how long it can retain what relevance it has to the profession.

Finally, understand that I care.  I want ARMA to succeed.  I need ARMA to succeed.  Besides my day job I teach students in Records and Information Management.  They are encouraged to join ARMA's free membership level.  We use the Principles as a foundational source in our class.  Some of the students represent the future of our profession.  We owe it to them and all of the professionals to come to hand over a resource that believes it exists for their needs, not for any other purposes.

There, I joined the conversation.  I only hope that I didn't burn too many bridges in stating my position.  Remember, my comments are my own and do not reflect either of my employers.

David B. Steward, CRM IGP
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP
4801 Main Street,Suite 1000