From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:28:51 -0700
On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> LTFS with drag and drop with reasonable volumes per tape would seem to
> handle most all but the most extreme storage requirements. What percentage
> of the market even needs this high capacity?
>
> It makes one wonder how stupid the IT Industry thinks its user group is,
> if they keep introducing the same failed ideas; with a new brand name every
> so often. If there revolutionary concept is based on a little larger
> capacity disk it would seem they misunderstand the market.
>
>  What is their fascination with volume?

Simply stated, they are trying to re-package and re-sell the concept:

"Storage is cheap (and easy) so just KEEP EVERYTHING" (again)

Many who are entering the RM space and haven't experienced this in the past
are reading all the articles telling people that "data is growing in
astronomical volumes" and while this may be true, that doesn't mean it
should all be saved.

The IT Industry is playing to that new audience, and they like the sound of
that music.

Every week, I get in excess of 100 pieces of physical mail and 20 ads in my
mailbox at home.  90+% of it is unsolicited, about 10 items are things that
I need to act on, and that's primarily because I've refused to agree to
e-billing and e-statements from some of my sources.  If I was willing to
trust them, the number would likely drop to 4 or fewer items.  Stick with
me- there's a point to this.

At work, after unsubscribing from NUMEROUS direct e-mailings and online
'magazines' prior to going out for my surgery last August, I STILL receive
over 1000 e-mails a month; 45+% are business related; 25% of those have a
25 year or longer retention.  But the bottom line is 55% of them can be
discarded after reading... and I'm willing to bet almost EVERYONE has a
similar data set.

My institution receives OVER 53 MILLION e-mails per month-
97% are deleted by perimeter defenses, because they are either SPAM or
contain MALWARE
3% make it to users, which means 1,590,000 are delivered
If others have similar numbers to mine, 875,000 messages can be discarded a
month.

The purpose of providing these numbers is to demonstrate an example of a
portion of the volume of data that is being retained that has no value when
an organization captures all e-mail at the incoming server and stores a
copy, simply because "storage is (once again) cheap".

So, to circle back and make my point about physical mail at home...NO ONE
saves every piece of mail they receive, why should businesses do it with
e-mail? Or other data, for that matter. Unless you're in an industry
segment that is VERY risk tolerant, a "keep everything" strategy is both
costly and potentially dangerous.  It results in a 'digital landscape
fraught with e-discovery landmines'.

Larry

--
Larry