From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2016 11:49:15 -0400
PK posted this entry just a couple of weeks ago, which promises incredible
storage volume for an almost infinite timeframe, in quartz:

https://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1603D&L=RECMGMT-
L&F=&S=&X=2B64D96635C3169495&Y=wayne.hoff%40aer.ca&P=17137

But Jesse is absolutely right about language.  Here's Chaucer's Cantebury
Tales, which was written only 500 years ago, and it's pretty much a foreign
language now:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkAfDsjYaWM.  That
was ENGLISH, not some relative of it!

So, my opinion:  let's use that quartz, but let's also include some kind of
rosetta stone (millions of pictures?) built into it that allows discovers
thousands or even millions of years from now to read and understand our
language.

Now, we also need instructions that allow those future discoverers to
recognize that the hunk of quartz is actually a data storage device.  So, for
that, I propose plastic tablets.  It's the only think that will last for
thousands of years.  Embed the quartz in the plastic and we're good to go.

Rats, I forgot about the reader for the quartz... I guess the plastic tablets
will have to include instructions on how to build a reader.

Easy!  :)

Wayne Hoff, CRM

Calgary, AB

Opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer.