Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2016 13:29:23 -0500
Today I begin a series of posts based on NARA’s 2015 report “Open Source
Tools for Records Management.”  I will attempt to provide some simple user
directions along with an overview of the utility of the software for
records management purposes.  I will first investigate Duplicate Files
Finder.  The software is available on SourceForge and can be used on
Windows, Linux, and Unix platforms.  If you have used this software in your
institution, I’d love to hear your feedback.

According to its homepage, Duplicate Files Finder searches for files with
the same content, even if they do not share the same file name or folder
location.  Users can choose to delete duplicate files or create links among
files.  Rather than using a hash algorithm that must read all files
completely, Duplicate Files Finder first sorts the files by size and then
compares them; as soon as a difference is detected, the program moves on to
another file.  This results in faster feedback than can be produced by
programs running a hash algorithm.

Duplicate Files Finder
http://bit.ly/22VVju0
http://bit.ly/22VVju0+