From:
D NISHIMURA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2016 20:43:20 +0000
One problem with microcompression of information is that it takes less damage to make the information unusable. We've found this with microfilm. Consider Mount Rushmore. If we reduced it down to the size where we need an electron microscope to see it, then it's made from a tiny fraction of the atoms required for the original. Now the range of sizes that we can look at with an EM range in size from an insect (a favorite SEM project among biomed photography students at RIT) down to a few atoms. Suppose that we lean towards the larger side and say that we reproduce Mount Rushmore using a quadrillion atoms of titanium (digital people might of it as one peta-atom of titanium.) that amounts to (in round numbers) eight-ten millionths of a gram of titanium. How much damage would it take to completely obliterate the image?

As a general rule of thumb as portability and data compression go up, stability goes down. Petroglyphs are neither easily portable nor can you really compress data into them, but they do last a long time (as long as a group of French Boy Scouts don't try to clean them). As we developed language and writing, we went to animal skins certainly lighter and we could compress more information, but not as stable as rock. We more to organic fibers as paper and step up in portability, but stability goes down. Photographs increased data compression, but decreased stability somewhat. How much data is in a movie DVD expressed in tons of petroglyph written stone? What is their relative data stability?

-Doug
Douglas Nishimura
Image Permanence Institute
Rochester Institute of Technology