From:
Vicki Lemieux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2016 18:35:36 -0400
Dear listserv members: In regard to the article at the link in this
posting, which states; "Blockchains are archival record keepers. Permanent
and transparent, they are the perfect solution for an industry-wide
problem of transmitting and archiving critical accurate records, with a
consortium of key industry players providing oversight as a trusted third
party. The key is to have a third party capable of independent checks and
balances, and the best way to achieve this is for every member in the
consortium to have a vested interest in maintaining 100% integrity of
every record in the Blockchain.² Further down in the article Deery claims
that ³systems of record² will be replaced by ³systems of authority².

The above statements are utter ³tosh² (to use a technical term:)). Here
are three simple facts that speak to the falsity of Deeryıs claims:

  1
  Does the Bitcoin Blockchain function as a decentralized archive, storing
original records from which records can be
  accessed?  No.  Original records are not stored on the Bitcoin
Blockchain, only hashes of original records.
  2
  Is it possible to reproduce an original record from the hash of the
record stored on the Bitcoin Blockchain in order to authenticate it?  No.
It is
  not possible to reverse engineer a hash to reproduce a record.
  3
  Does using the Bitcoin Blockchain ensure the trustworthiness of the
records? No. Trustworthiness is only guaranteed if the
  records are both reliable and authentic.  Blockchain solutions do not
address the reliability of records, and there are many features of the
  Bitcoin Blockchain that may negatively affect the authenticity of
information as well.

Given the heavy promotion of this technology as a record keeping solution
by Factom and others, there is a growing need for an DoD 5015 style
standard. In other words, let the industry properly prove its claims
through certification against a recordkeeping standard.

Best wishes,
Victoria Lemieux
Associate Professor, Archival Science
The University of British Columbia

On 2016-05-08, 12:34 PM, "Records Management Program on behalf of PeterK"