From:
Elizabeth Fairfax <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:08:03 -0700
Good Morning!

It has been quite a while since I posted to the list but I need your help.  I am calling on the wisdom of the list to satisfy a question raised by one of our commissioners.  Although I have always had strong feelings about this-and have felt that there was a concensus among those of us on the list based on discussions from at least 10 years ago-I thought I would pass the question along to my esteemed colleagues.

Our practice has historically been NOT to re-use or re-cycle records cartons based on the premise that one slip- up with a mislabeled box could be a risky and potentially very expensive one.  Departments are not known to carefully expunge old labels on boxes before re-labelling and sending them to storage again in my experience.

What would your advice be on the potential practice of re-using records cartons if the contents were emptied and shredded, but the boxes could be recovered?  Many thanks in advance.

Elizabeth Fairfax

A.S.Elizabeth Fairfax MA, CA
ACA Certified Archivist/Public Records Professional
Director, Island County Archives, Records and Information Management Program
P.O. Box 5000
1 NE 7th Street
Coupeville WA 98239
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]