From:
"Laiche, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:38:08 -0500
What's the sense of going through all of this unless there is some kind
of official certification obtained at the end?  I have a program that is
(and has been for 3 years) 95% compliant with the criteria listed in ISO
15489.  I was only waiting until we purchased and installed our new
content management/records management system (now in progress) to more
efficiently handle electronic records before going all-out for ISO
15489.  I was under the impressions three years ago that this guide was
to become a standard, and I would be ready to meet it when it did become
a standard.  However, as it is still just a guide, I now see no benefit
to spending my limited resources on ISO 15489.  Also, I can proclaim I'm
compliant, but if there is no outside evaluation, certification, or
unbiased assessment to back me up, I can make whatever claims I want, be
they true or false.   Who's to tell me I wrong?

If an organization is just beginning to build or reorganize a
document/records program, it may be a wonderful tool to use as a
structured approach and to prevent costly errors, but for those of us
who are already there, again I ask what's the use?

Any opinions out there on this?